We are delighted to welcome you to Future of Design Sheffield 2017, a full-day conference and dinner in Sheffield aimed at promoting innovation and inspiring the designers of the future.
This is the eleventh Future of Design Conference organised by the International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering (IABSE) British Group.
The 2017 conference will be held at The University of Sheffield, in The Diamond.
- Dr John Roberts – Executive Director of Operations, Jacobs
- James O’Callaghan – Director, Eckersley O’Callaghan
- Steve Webb – Director, Webb Yates
- Nick Francis – Eadon Consulting
- Government Security Adviser
Biographies of all speakers can be found here.
- ‘Optimisation’ with Professor Matthew Gilbert & Professor Andy Tyas of the University of Sheffield.
- ‘Sketching’ with Ron Slade – WSP.
- ‘The art of Approximation’ with Hugh Morrison of Hugh Morrison Associates & Peter Debney of Oasys.
Thank you to all those who entered the ‘Young Designers Paper Competition’.
Below are the eight people who will be giving presentations and the topic they have chosen to present.
YDC Parallel Session A (Diamond LT4)
Matt Brimble of Mott MacDonald: Single span strengthening of a listed masonry arch railway viaduct
Stephen E King of Elliott Wood: Timber Engineering – Bi-Planar Arch Structure
Charlotte Murphy of Arup: Designing Bridges for Manufacture and Assembly
Adam Rich of Cullinan Studio: Architectural Applications of Auxetics
YDC Parallel Session B (Diamond LT5)
Noor Atewah of Sheffield Hallam University: The Magnolia Grid Shell at Sheffield Hallam University
Nicholas Berg of Arup: Modernising a one hundred year old railway viaduct
Viktoras Jarmolkovicius of CH2M: Wild Coast Bridges, Msikaba
Ian Shepherd of Elliott Wood: Pump Pavilion, Battersea
View the programme here.
This year, we have a start time of 10am, giving you plenty of time to travel to Sheffield from around the UK. For more information on the venue and estimated travel times, click here